Steve Happ Photography Ramblings and dissertations

March 6, 2018

Quintana Roo – Parque Kabah

Filed under: Birds — Tags: — admin @ 12:05 am

Cancun Birding.

I flew into Cancun last night from Madrid. It was a gruelling 9 hour flight. And no movies but at least we got a free feed. Actually Wamos Air would be the cheapest way ever to get from Europe to Central America. This morning I went for my first ever visit to Walmart. It was underwhelming. Aldi is much better. Around here it is very americanized. I even got a simcard from AT&T! After that exciting adventure I got my camera out and walked along the edges of Parque Kabah.

Great-tailed Grackle
Great-tailed Grackle (Quiscalus mexicanus)

These Great-tailed Grackles are amazing. They are everywhere, like crows.

Great-tailed Grackle - weird tongue
Great-tailed Grackle (Quiscalus mexicanus)

I could not believe this photo when I saw it up close. I have cropped it heaps but it is about 100%. What is going on with its tongue. Wow, so weird. I could not find any information online.

Ruddy Ground-Dove
Ruddy Ground-Dove (Columbina talpacoti)

I have a feeling I have seen these in Peru or somewhere in South America. Will check. Nope. Must have been another Ground-dove. Checking again. Croaking Ground-dove in Lima, October 2010.

Tropical Kingbird - 90%
Tropical Kingbird (Tyrannus melancholicus) 90%

Couch’s Kingbird. Tyrannus couchii has a medium sized bill, Grey head with dark mask through the eye, Greenish yellow back, light throat with lemon yellow underparts (birdzilla.com).
Eddie from World ID group says “anything in cancun there is 90% chance tropical kingbird, 9.99% chance couch’s. U gotta listen to their vocalization to distinguish. ” So I am taking the percentages and betting on Tropical Kingbird. Any takers?

Yellow-throated Warbler
Yellow-throated Warbler (Setophaga dominica)

This Yellow-throated Warbler was going manic up in a tree. It could not sit still for a second. It was a nightmare trying to photograph it.

Social Flycatcher
Social Flycatcher ( Myiozetetes similis)

These look so much like a Great Kiskadee, I had to check it thoroughly. I am pretty sure, but.

Great Kiskadee
Great Kiskadee (Pitangus sulphuratus)

I have seen Great Kiskadee in Argentina, I am pretty sure. Checking. Costanera Sur, Buenos Aires, July 2010. And check the yellow patch on top of the head. Well that is it. Some of the common birds out of the way on my first day. Five ticks is not bad for a walk around the block.

Cancun Bird list

Great-tailed Grackle (Quiscalus mexicanus)
Ruddy Ground-Dove (Columbina talpacoti)
Yellow-throated Warbler (Setophaga dominica)
Tropical Kingbird (Tyrannus melancholicus) or Couch’s Kingbird. Tyrannus couchii
Social Flycatcher ( Myiozetetes similis)
Great Kiskadee (Pitangus sulphuratus)
Eurasian Collared Dove (Streptopelia decaocto)

No Comments »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Leave a comment

Powered by WordPress